I thought you all might be interested in hearing about the Italian American Museum. I don't know my Manhattan geography very well, but so far as I can tell it is located in Little Italy at the site of a former bank frequented by Italian immigrants (corner Mulberry and Grand Street). This article in the New York Times caught my eye and I thought of your ancestors and their lives in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It notes that a thrid class ticket from Naples to New York cost $30 in 1894 (about the time the Manzellis arrived also from the port of Naples). I'm sure $30 was a large investment for such travelers.
In particular, I took note of a researcher's statement that "the neighborhood was a cluster of enclaves within an enclave, with various streets representing various regions of the old country" and that those who lived north of Broome Street was from Bari. Now, I don't know Broome Street from 5th Avenue, but I do know that one branch of your ancestry comes from Bari! I would just love to visit this museum. If any of you happen to visit, please be sure to let me know (sounds like Robert and Bobbie to me!).
No comments:
Post a Comment