Monday, October 13, 2008




One of my most recent searches is for information about Long Island City in the 1930s or so especially for the sugar house in Greenpint (Jack Frost) that your grandfather Costante worked in. Aunt Josie also said your grandmother worked there as well. She said Costante first worked in this sugar house then started working the trollies then to the buses. I have no idea what working in a sugar house was all about but I think I can just about imagine the smell which I am supposing may have been sweet but not a pleasant homey kind of sweet smell--more like the overwhelming hot sweet smell that fills your nasal passages.


I did find this picture apparently by photographer/artist Miklos Suba (perhaps of Brooklyn) that I think might be the Greenpoint Brooklyn Jack Frost Sugar factory. It might be around the approximate time period that this factory provided a living for your grandfather and grandmother. Just thought you might find it interesting.
Now to move into current times: Happy birthday Drew! Isn't it nice to have a long weekend for your birthday almost every year? The leaves are so beautiful this weekend they just take your breath away. Go out and enjoy.

No comments: