So here's what I'm thinking about today. Twice today, people mentioned things Ryan had done recently that are the kinds of things that really make a parent proud. All day long I smiled to myself because I am so proud of him and the adult he seems to be growing into (actually it was closer to "teary eyed" than to smiling, but who's counting?).
There aren't many other parental moments that rise to the level of pride in our children over the behaviors they exhibit, especially when they have no way to expect we would find out. Of course, in some ways, it's all about us right? And our parenting? Mostly our doubts about how we are doing with that job as time goes by. Then we get validated by learning our child has made us proud. And we smile (or wipe tears away) for the rest of the day.
In this case, these were little things --as they often are. Little gestures or responses that can easily go unnoticed and often go undetected by mom-radar. Which made me think about my parents and their parents and so on. Was there anything I did that made my mom feel the way I do today? I don't recall that she ever mentioned such a thing but I suppose there had to be at least SOMETHING. Maybe when I was about 6 or so! I think I'd like to know. Especially because it's usually those little everyday things that define our relationships in this world and make such a difference with those looming life-defining moments we all face eventually.
So, I'm going to make a point to tell Ryan tonight that I am so proud to be his mom. I hope you will do the same with someone you love in the near future. Maybe they will remember it and understand a little better what makes them the people they become.
No comments:
Post a Comment