Sunday, October 19, 2008

DNA anyone?



Recently I talked my brother into submitting a DNA sample to a surname project in the hopes of making some connections with the Irish Ryans. I cannot say I understand any of the results that have come through so far, but I did gain about 8 Ryan contacts to pursue. The most interesting Irish Ryan stories have come to me even though none looks like a match to ours (so far). It's something you all might want to consider, although you are fortunate enough to have substantial "old country" information, the stories add a great deal of insight to our ancestors lives.




So, here's a bit of Dalpiaz lore. This image may not be particularly clear but it is a tribute to Erminia Dalpiaz Maistrelli. I think she looks like a Dalpiaz! Erminia was an aunt to your grandfather Costante. Erminia's daughter Emelia was married in 1921 in Las Animas Colorado and lived in the area until at least 1930.


So here's what I find interesting. You may remember the story of Otillio Dalpiaz who was murdered in Colorado in 1928 and apparently died without any family claiming him. This murder occured in the same county that served as home for Otilio's niece Emelia yet no mention was made of any family ties for him during the inquest or investigation. Makes you wonder how it happened that perhaps Emelia never knew her uncle was nearby--or, if she did, why no evidence of it came to light.
I feel pretty strongly that it is likely she knew she had an uncle in the area. That's just how things were for families at that time, especially immigrants in a community with others from the old country. Just another little story for your consideration. Enjoy these beautiful fall days!

No comments: