Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Home Again Home Again

Now that we have returned from our Gloucester vacation, I can reflect on the time away and what I've learned.  And I don't mean what I learned about the Ryan family history.  As Kathleen and Nick already know, being away from home for almost a month can be a tricky proposition.  One thing I learned is that I do not own enough underwear and socks to last a whole month!  Day to day stuff needs to be dealt with; planning needs to be done to properly prepare yourself; children and pets require your attention regardless of distance.

Those day to day intricacies seem to be what stands in the way of keeping the blog more regular.  While I was in Gloucester, I found it easy to create weekly posts.  For a while, I was wondering why it was so easy when I was there but not so easy right here at 2682 Colesville Road.  Then the phone rang and I realized I was no longer on vacation.   Back to the real world.  I'm guessing the posts will become less regular than they were last month!

But, for now, here's the update on our recent trip.  My lungs are full of sea air and my car is covered in sea salt, which makes me very happy.  As you may know, my sister Paula visited us in Gloucester the weekend after Robert and Bobbie's visit.  It was only 48 hours for her, but we managed to fill the time with ocean, children and seafood.


 There's a spectacular place called Halibut Point State Park where you walk into the woods to the old quarry and then can continue just a few paces to sit oceanside.  This day was about 24 hours after the nor-easter passed and the waves were still coming in.  We took Robert and Bobbie here but got chased away by rain--but Paula's visit to the place was a beautiful day.

This is my uncle Tim.  These two seem to be solving some of the world's problems at the Essex Clamfest.  James' hat was one we found in an antique store while shopping with Robert and Bobbie.  James wasn't sure he should purchase it until Bobbie pointed out the "D" pin on the band.  Seemed destined to be for James and I think he looks pretty snappy.

I like this picture of us.  Paula took it at Good Harbor Beach.  We hadn't actually been there in a long time.

James sitting on the deck of our apartment contemplating the trip and returning home.  It was truly a great trip and we'll do it again.  I'll have to buy more underwear though-- a month is a long time! :)





1 comment:

Beach said...

I have to say, I have never seen my brother so relaxed looking. Thank God! You both look wonderful and like it really, really agrees with you.