Friday, November 21, 2014

Highly Decorated Medic Louis Albertini

It's time to turn my focus to some Italian heritage.  I have found some very interesting items in the last few days and I hope you enjoy them.  On a recent visit to Aunt Rose and Uncle Lou, I commented on his portrait which is hanging proudly in their living room.  It's Uncle Lou in his Army uniform.  This prompted a story from Uncle Lou which included a mention that he'd been interviewed on the Ted Malone radio show during his service.  Ever since, I've been making efforts to find that interview. 

I did not find that interview but I did come across some additional interesting articles.  In an earlier post, I described some of Uncle Lou's interactions with German soldiers but this article is more complete in its details and I think you will be VERY proud to learn that you have a hero in your family.

You can see this 1994 article was published in the Hazelton newspaper.  It is heartwarming that his hometown paid this tribute so many years later and puts a spotlight onto his service to our country. 

I also found this article from 1997.  It was so good to see those smiling faces looking so happy!

And here's another from a local Pennsylvania newspaper that I thought might interest some of you (Nick?  James? Thomas?)  From 1939:

Just a reminder to check out the Gathering the Cousins blog once in a while.  I try to alternate Italian posts with Irish interests but you may find each interesting.  I usually update a post from the past with a little polish to make it more readable to a general audience.  The purpose is as "cousin bait" so that anyone with the same family history interests might come across it and make contact.  The more hits it gets, the higher it will appear in search results.  Let's hope we "catch" a cousin! :)


2 comments:

Beach said...

Thank you for this post. In the summer of 2013, when we visited LI, they came to Pat and Steve's house and it was the first time I heard Uncle Louie talk about his military service. I wish you could find the radio interview.

Diana said...

I showed my father the articles which he enjoyed. The Albertini's Motor Co. was not his. He thinks it was a cousin.