Thursday, December 9, 2010

Polenta Primer

I admit I don't know polenta from potash, but there was a bit of recent email conversation about it between siblings.  I've stolen the essence of this conversation for this post.

From Robert: Bobbie and I had a visit with Aunt Rose and Uncle Lou last night. Louis happened to be in town and we had a great time telling old stories. Aunt Rose mentioned that Grandpa had three polenta pots made for each of his children when he was over in Europe. I saw Aunt Rose's. It is heavy copper with a heavy copper handle. I don't remember ever seeing such a pot at Dad's house. Does anyone remember seeing this pot? Does anyone have the pot? I'm just curious. 
By the way, we got some great old recipes from Aunt Rose, including polenta. We will gladly share at Christmas.
 
Of course, this got me looking for copper polenta pot images.  Does Aunt Rose's look something like this?  Somehow I'm guessing NOT.
Then from Jean: I do remember Grandpa bringing a pot when he made polenta at our house on occasion...I don't know if he ever left one. I started a draft of a children's story a while ago about Grandpa...my own 
recollection of him, but I never got much past a draft, but polenta is in there. I am attaching it, rough as it is, since I know I will not get back to that or any other writing any time soon...

Good luck on the pot hunt..well, you know what I mean.
 
 I'm not including Jean's story here as I don't have the author's permission (but nice job!)
 
Kathleen's response: 
What a great story. It is exactly how I remember it. In fact, you remember the pot better than me. I'm sorry you never went any further with it. I liked polenta. Just like Thomas's remembrance of the car racing, it is so good to read someone else's. We should capture these stories for the next generation when we can. Do I sound too sappy?
 
No, Kathleen.  You do not sound too sappy.
 
This web page gave me a great feel for what you remember:  Polenta Traditions and Memories  Enjoy!
 
Happy Birthday shout out to Jake!  And, as Roberto says   A presto (see you soon)
 
 

No comments: