Saturday, December 12, 2009

Say It Ain't So

Christmas season--so what else should come to mind but disillusionment? One day last week I was off campus for a day long meeting and we were on our own for lunch. I decided to treat myself to one of my favorite fast foods: Long John Silver's fish. Yes, that's my secret. Love the fish.



Well, let's just say the fish did not live up to my recollection. I stuck my fork in it and immediately thought "What was I thinking? This is horrible stuff!" Reality slapped me right in the taste buds. Such a disappointment. There goes another perception bubble popped by reality.



Tiger Woods is another example. Say it ain't so, Tiger. This is not the image I had of this man. I'm sure it's not fair to place my expectations of a good honest man with great talent on a mere human like the rest of us, but I did. That bubble burst this week also.



Long John and Tiger right out the window. I think Disney has done people like me a great favor by working so very hard to maintain the illusion (I think they might call it MAGIC). Don't we all need to maintain some magic in our lives even in the face of logic and 24/7 news?



I know Kathleen and Nick are visiting this weekend and I hope their sense of the magic of the season will be enforced by this time with little ones! Enjoy the wild ride!!!

No comments: