Wednesday, December 9, 2009




Happy Birthday Jake! I thought you all might enjoy these pictures. I borrowed one from Jake and Lindsay's Shutterfly site. Jake is about 10 months old in his picture and Emily must be about the same in hers.


I did not realize that you couldn't double click my last post about the Love Story Double Wedding to read it. I will have to figure that out, but here's the text. I think you will enjoy.


The Albertini family and the Dalpiaz family had more in common that roots in Europe. Louis explains.

It was 1946 and I had just been discharged from the U.S. Army when my family decided to move from Hazelton PA to Long Island City to take over the operation of a local restaurant and bar. We called it Albertini's Cafe and Restaurant. To acquaint ourselves with the neighbors, we had a grand opening. It was here that the Dalpiaz family met the Albertinis.

The patriarchs of the families discovered they had something in common..they both came from the Val di Non in Tyrol, Austria (now in northern Italy). My father asked Mr. Dalpiaz if his daughters would show the Albertini sons around the neighborhood and introduce them to their friends. Rose and I hit it off right from the start. It took Thomas and Josephine a few months longer to start dating.

At a birthday party for my mon, on Jan 8 1947, Tom and I surprised the girls with engagement rings. A wedding dates was set for April 26, 1947, on my birthday. It was the first double wedding of two brothers marrying two sisters at St. Rita's R.C. Church in Ravenswood, Queens. The entire neighborhood came to witness the ceremony.


This comes from the Aug 31 1997 issue of Newsday. It was apparently submitted by Uncle Louie. I think it's a wonderful insight to the times and their love stories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the pictures of Jake and Emily. You always strike a chord. We are so grateful for your insight and ability to find and tell a story.

I remember that bell. I'm not sure, but I think it might be from Germany. Check it and see if it has any markings. I can't recall if I bought it when I went to Germany or if it was one of those things I kept that was grandpas. Sorry. That's the best I can remember. from Pat