Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Day at the Beach Dalpiaz Style

As the winter drags on, it's not hard to let your mind wander to memories of warmer days.  I was listening to "This American Life" recently and the theme was Day at the Beach, providing me with a perfect topic for the Dalpiaz family blog.

You've always seemed to have had a love affair with the beach.  I'm sure it has to do with growing up so close to the water--but I think there's something else in your blood as it seems to have endured over many generations.

I think this is your grandfather James clearly at the beach.  He appears to be an adult and I don't see his wife here so I'll take an educated guess this was taken prior to his marriage in 1923.  I could study it further to determine a better idea of the date based on clothing styles, but let's just say this is an early example of your family's love story with the beach.

You've seen this one before--it's your mother with your sister Jean.  I'll refrain from mentioning potential dates, but let's just say I think it's likely this was taken before the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan's stage.  Your mom looks very happy.

It isn't often that I find pictures that I didn't remember I had but prepping for this blog post led me to an entire album of pictures I had forgotten about because they are set aside from my "regular" photo collection.  Remember the family cruise in 1998?  It's unlikely that Kathleen and Nick will ever forget it since our late plane arrival very nearly made them miss the boat!  But that was a fun time together.  I remember taking the little shuttle boat out to the beach one day and looking down at the very blue water amazed at how beautiful it was.  I vowed to have that deep blue sea reappear as my bedroom carpet in memory of this day.






The following year, the family trooped out to Cape Cod -- a vacation which included a day at the beach at the National Seashore Park. 

                                 Thomas was just a baby there with his feet in the Atlantic Ocean!


A few years later, the family vacation was in the (at the?) Hamptons where some truly classic cousin time took place. 

                                                                               2002


Another epic beach memory is from the 2010 celebration of graduations where other branches of the Coffarelli family were able to join us.



                                          Even if someone is sidelined, it can still be memorable!

Warmer days are ahead and I'm sure there will be more Dalpiaz beach memories --perhaps as soon as this summer!



No comments: