Monday, February 3, 2014

Very interesting........

It pays to take a second (or third, fourth etc) look at things when you work on researching family history.  Sometimes it leads to interesting places or information.  Sometimes it doesn't.  This is one of those times. 

This is a Certificate of Birth for your father from the New York City Bureau of Records.  Despite its  official looking appearance, this is not an "official" birth certificate acceptable for establishing identity as required by various government agencies when you apply for a passport or seek a driver's license.  This piece of paper does not have the required raised stamp of authenticity deemed acceptable by government authority.  That's one problem.  The other is that it says "Bob" which wasn't your father's actual given name.  It's very possible that this was an acceptable proof of birth many years ago however and likely served in exactly that capacity for him.  It's been folded up into wallet size and taped for reinforcement, keeping it in amzingly good shape for its age.

One particular item of interest here is the location of your dad's birth:  88 Graham Ave in the Boro of Queens.  This set me off on a hunt for the current day location of 88 Graham Ave circa 1928.  The 1930 census indicated the young Dalpiaz family lived at 25-31 Steinway St.  I took this to be a clue that 88 Graham was probably not too far away from there as people tended to stay in the same neighborhoods.  Steinway Street still exists in Long Island City but Graham Avenue went the way of birth certificates lacking raised seals.  And the hunt was on..........

I was looking for what the old Graham Avenue in Long Island City was called today--did you know there's a name for this kind of information?? Street Necrology.  I kind of like it.  A website called Forgotten New York indicates Graham Avenue became 34th Ave from Vernon Blvd to Northern Blvd.  If you look at a map of Long Island City, you will note Vernon and Northern seem to be boundaries and 34th joins them across Long Island City.   But Steinway cuts across 34th closer to Northern Blvd.  I haven't yet discovered where 88 Graham was but I believe it wasn't too far from Steinway.  25-31 Steinway still exists and, though I assume the numbering system stayed the same, I can't be certain of that.  I encourage you to look at the map to put a mental pinpoint in the area of your father's birth. 

This is your grandfather Costante's naturalization certificate which was awarded the same year your father was born, at which time he also lists 88 Graham Ave Long Island City as their residence.  At the very bottom of this certificate, I looked for the date, at first noticing the 53 and made the assumption this was awarded in 1853.  I quickly realized that didn't seem right and took note that our naturalization certicifates at the time listed how many years independent the United States was: 153 in 1928.  Interesting.

If you take another look at Costante's Social Security application made in 1936, you will note he lists 9-06 34th Ave (the old Graham Ave) as his residence.  REALLY interesting.

I also took another look at Costante's Certificato di Nascita:

One thing I always check is when the certificate was issued.  It's easy to assume it was issued at the time of the event listed, but often is a copy obtained later for another purpose--such as for when you get married or the government requires it.  This certificate seems to have been issued in 1938, when your grandfather was 37.  I don't know why he needed this birth certificate in 1938.  Passport perhaps?  Perhaps it had something to do with Germany extending its nationality law to include Austria in 1938 ?  Perhaps Robert and Bobbie can help with the Italian on this certificate, but I'm not sure it says country of Italy on it anywhere (or Austria for that matter).  REALLY REALLY interesting.

So I wasted away several hours studying these again but learning very little new information directly related to your family history.  But it was interesting and I hope you feel the same.


2 comments:

Beach said...

First of all, you are keeping this blog up, too?
It is all very interesting. I remember always hearing that my father was born at home by the midwife.

Pat D said...

Yes, I plan to keep this blog too. This post will find its way to the Gathering the Cousins blog at some point though!