Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What a Messa!

Sorry about that title but I don't know how else to say it!  I will now demonstrate (once again) how I get off track so quickly.  As you know, I've spent lots of time trying to find all the siblings of your grandfather James Coffarelli.  I've decided it's time for a new Italian focus and I settled on the Messa family.  This post WAS going to focus on aunts and uncles:  Aunt Rose and Aunt Josie in particular. I began by looking at my notes from various visits with them and I noticed several facts shared about the Messa family.  I realized there is a great deal there to learn.  And so it has begun.  And so far, it's kind of a mess.

From Rose Messa Jozwicki's journal as shared by Aunt Rose "in memory of the Messa family" : During that time my father's (your great grandfather Jacob Messa) younger brother Onofrio wanted to come to America with his wife.  My father sent them the money.  

This record seems to indicate Onofrio arrived in New York from Naples with his wife Teresa December 1920.  Francesco and Marie's names are crossed off apparently indicating they did not make this trip with Onofrio.

Continuing the story told by Rose Messa Jozwicki:  "They came and lived with us (for we had a very big house). Several months went by and everything was fine.  Then father had an argument with his brother so he then made his own home.  After that, father sent money to Italy for another brother names Frank to come to Ohio.  They came, it was then our whole life changed."

Ellis Island records showed me that Francesco, his wife Marie and his daughter Marie (then 5 months old) arrived August 1921. 

"By this time, he was through building so my Uncle Frank moved in.  He wasn't there not even amonth when father was accusing him of many things which I will not write about.  They told him to get out, but for spite he would not go.  Then more trouble came and father would go more with this woman than with his own brother.  They went to court and Uncle Frank had to move out.  They were enemies and never spoke to each other again."

Frank and his family apparently moved to New York.  I am unclear on what Onofrio did.  Your great grandfather Jake never made it to New York as far as I know.  Aunt Josie said Onofrio was a barber with a "nasty wife" and the family didn't see these children very often.  There was also a sister Teresa who married but had no children, according to Josie.  It appeared to me that Onofrio's "nasty wife" was also named Teresa so there's lots of opportunity for confusion. 

My research so far seems to indicate there is more than one Frank Messa married to a Marie (brings Franks and Marie Barone of Everybody Loves Raymond to my mind!).  The guy I think is the "other" Frank is only a couple of years older than "your" Frank so I am treading very carefully in this research. 

Which bring me to the Induddi name.  Anyone recognize this name?  It would be helpful to know if you do.
I came across this intriguing tidbit:



This is from the Long Island City Star Journal January 7 1947.  From what I have learned so far, I think this Marie Messa daughter of Frank is the infant Marie in the earlier ship's record.  I conclude from this that Frank Messa (your great grand uncle) was still alive in 1947 but wife Marie had perhaps died.  Further, your Frank Messa was in Long Island City near his sister-in-law Catherine Contenta Messa.  Perhaps the cousin Larry is one of Onofrio's children rarely seen--that is yet to be determined!  Marie did have a brother Louis (though there are plenty of Louis Messas to further confuse matters and hinder final determination of their relationship to you). 

In my effort to determine if this is your Messa family, I searched for Dominick Induddi, for once feeling quite smug since that is a rather unique name.  And look what pops up almost immediately;

Such a cute mug to be listed in an obituary since this 93 year old died in June of 2011 leaving his wife of 65 years Marie behind!  Can you believe it?  I believe this is the couple noted in the above wedding announcement but I'm not ready to be certain because (and this is hard to swallowZ) there is ANOTHER Dominic Induddi who died in 2011 husband of Nancy.  How is this even possible?  Cute mug Dominic above did not have a son named after him so I can't even begin to sort that out until I spend some additional time with the various Louis, Frank and Marie Messa family members.  Onofrio, wherefore art thou?

Any help appreciated.  Back to the drawing board. 




No comments: