This is another tombstone picture from Kathleen and Nick. At the very bottom you can see Riccardo Dalpiaz who was an uncle to your grandfather Costante. As you can see here, Riccardo died in war--in the Dolomites according to family legend.
We'll have to consult the historians in the family for better detail and perspective, but I believe Riccardo's death resulted from the Italian Campaign of WWI 1915-1918 between the Austria Hungary army and the Italian army for control of the Tyrol region (overly simplified for those that don't understand WWI military campaigns any better than I do--sorry, Thomas.). In other words--I think this was the BIG one for your family testing their loyalties. I do not know which army Riccardo belonged to. I think military service was required of young men in this region and he may have found himself a solider by duty rather than by choice. Regardless, he is deserving of recognition for his service to his country. He was a 40 year old soldier fighting battles that probably were far too close to home.
You have many servicemen in your family who have honored their country and served it with dignity. May 30 is the day set aside for recognition and I'd like to share the following 4 minute video that speaks to me and I hope to you as well. I think HOME was important to each of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment