Monday, June 13, 2011

Cold and Wet in Mid June

James and I spent this past weekend at the NYS softball championships in Saratoga Springs.  I just love Saratoga Springs, but we didn't get to see too much past the clay diamonds of the playing fields.  The weather was just awful.  We arrived at the fields at about 5:45 AM and it began to rain at about 6.  Did not stop until around 8 PM.  If you told me we'd get all 15 games in that day I would have bet you money otherwise.  We got soaked and it wasn't that warm either. James worked really hard getting the fields playable so he was wet, cold AND dirty.  I was merely wet and cold.

But we had a great time despite the conditions.  Facing that kind of diversity with others forges special bonds that arise from shared misery.  It's kind of amazing how many times we've had a great time in adverse conditions.  When were were on our honeymoon, we went on a whale watch and it was the same experience, with high waves added in for fun.My brother and his wife were with us and I remember us all singing the Gilligan's Island song.

Many of the times that I can recall where nasty conditions failed to dampen the spirits involve softball.  One year the tournament was held in Binghamton and I was helping to run it.  It poured.  Everything was just dripping.  But we made it through that day also getting all the games in somehow.  And I have fond memories.  It was so much fun that we did it again!  And again!  After that soaking, I sent thank you emails to  my helpers:  "Thank you for all your help with the tournament.  It was long, cold, hard, and wet but we made it."  I think you can see why I remember those emails so clearly.  Yikes!  And those people are still my friends (well, most of them are anyhow).  I'm sure we've all sent or received something similar and just cringe at the memory.

No comments: