Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

Jim and Ryan are off to perform their last Memorial Day services.  The flag is flying. The spiedies are thawing.   It's a glorious day.  Thought I would take a minute to remember some of your veteran ancestors.  I don't know much about Philip Coffarelli just yet but a very kind soul took this picture of his gravestone at Long Island National Cemetery for me.

It looks like your Uncle Phil (every family should have an Uncle Phil) served in the Quartermaster's Corps which would have provided supplies of all sorts to the troops.  I'd like to learn more about Philip and this time in his life.  
 
I also found this picture of "Uncle Joe's" gravestone in Pine Bush.  I don't know much about him either but Marguerite has some stories of him to share that I'd like to learn more about.  He was apparently somewhat irascible and wasn't too good about keeping up with house repairs.  Aunt Mary once fell right through the floor!

In fact, all three boys Philip, Joseph and your grandfather James are listed on St. Mary's "Roll of Honor in the Service of our Country from St. Mary's Parish Long Island City" published September 28 1918.  I am not sure which this is
No matter which soldier this might be, let's pause to remember today. 

No comments: