2002 Hampton vacation
2009 August at the beach
I guess it's a universal reaction to cold water rushing at you. Well, maybe "rushing" is an exaggeration. Anyhow, we are coming off an extended cold spell here in the northeast and Kathleen tells me Florida is starting to warm up again (only a 2 sweater walk on the beach today). There was sun today and it was above freezing and it felt like a heat wave. But it's still cold--no mistaking that.
There's cold such as these ocean waves. There's cold like winter weather in the northeast. There's cold like 2 sweater walks on the beach and frostbitten citrus crops.
And then there's the COLD an immigrant might feel as they wonder if they've made a mistake leaving the homeland and family behind.
And the unforgiving empty devastating deep dark loss of the Haitians. So our cold spell doesn't seem so bad and I'm not going to whine about needing a new furnace. And I'll try to remember this when the price of strawberries doubles or triples in a few weeks. And be grateful for the sun reflecting off the snow.

1 comment:
I'm finally catching up on your blog and looking forward to leaving the LI cold for some Florida warmth at the Feb Break. I can't thinkof a better family member to have the old photos of mom and dad than you. Thanks for sharing the photos but especially the memories and perspective means so much.
Pat
Post a Comment