Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Robert B. Parker died today.  He's one of my favorite authors--creator of one of my very favorite characters Spenser.  I feel like I've lost a member of the family!  There are only a couple of authors whose books I keep on hand always:  Ed McBain (also dead) is another.  I was lucky enough to hear both of them speak about their craft, which was a great joy.  I might go back and start reading his books all over again.  His prose was succinct with the hint of a wink at the inconsistencies of life. 

I kind of imagine a burial ground littered with markers noting all those favorites who were part of our lives. It's the kind of place I can visit and find comfort in.  For me, it's the bookshelf downstairs filled with Ed McBain, Spenser books and Nancy Drew.

Most of us probably have these.  For James I think it's the albums, 33s and 8 tracks.  (Notice I did not mention CDs).  For your dad, his tools and vehicles maybe?  And the music of course.  For your mom, I wonder if it might have been all the cards and notices she kept.  That's just my observation and you all would know better.  It's nice to know "things" can bring comfort sometimes.  Here's to Spenser, 8 tracks, tools and funeral cards!

No comments: