Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Taking a Leap



This is Ryan receiving a pass last weekend in the last football game of the season. He will probably never put on a football uniform again. The day couldn't come soon enough for me. It has taken me 4 years of high school football and 2 years of modified football to get comfortable with quarterbacking terms and responsibilities. And in the last game of his career, the coach plays him in another position--I think they called it running back. That was a cruel cruel trick to play on the mother of the quarterback. I suppose there was a good reason for it and Ryan seemed OK with it so I guess sometimes you just have to take the leap that the coach knows what he is doing. Running back indeed. I thought they were supposed to run forward!

I've been taking some of these leaps with Ryan most of his life. I bought a "Ryan" name sign for his room before he was born. I just knew he was a boy. Our parents must have done the same kinds of things for us. Right? It's just kind of hard to think of them being anything other than practical. I have no idea what sorts of leaps of faith or love my parents took for me or any of my siblings but I wish I did. I probably wouldn't have appreciated it at the time, but I certainly do now.

I'm going to take some extra time this week and think about my parents and how hard parenting is and bless them for giving me the tools to be a parent today. I'll be thinking about your parents too for James is a great dad. And marrying him might have been my biggest leap!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say to that is, amen and is he ever lucky that you did.