Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Oh, By the Way....

Thanksgiving Eve 2009. I hope you are all looking forward to a great day with family and friends tomorrow, as we are. Amy has just arrived home so it's wonderful for us all to be together.

We were talking about this blog and Amy said "Oh by the way" regarding the little bell with the "D" leather attachment: she remembers that she found it at your house on the bar sometime after your father died. She liked it because "it was small and so was I" so she asked someone (maybe Kathleen or Pat) if she could keep it. And that's how it came to be at our house. Jean took a look at it and didn't remember anything in particular about it either so perhaps we will never know its story.

I gave the Happy Birthday shout out for our November birthdays, but I thought you might be interested in another November celebration from the past. This is a copy of the front and back of the marriage certificate for your great grandparents Joseph and Jenny Manzelli who were married November 19 1896 in (at?) Long Island City. One of the reasons I love these is for the signatures. You can see your great grandparents actual handwriting on the back side of this. Oh, by the way you also see great Uncle Giacomo's signature as well (the one who looks so much like James in his passport photo).


Worth noting is that they were married by Long Island City Mayor Patrick Gleason. Oh, by the way, Paddy Gleason apparently had a reputation for underhandedness. Definitely sounds like the "good ole boy" network was alive and well then as now. Makes you wonder a little bit about why they chose to be married by him. We can't tell the location of the ceremony from this document, but I'd be guessing City Hall.

No comments: