
We visited Aunt Josie, Uncle Tom and Richard this week in their home. They very nicely allowed James and I to land on them with very short notice so that I could figure out some of the pictures that Robert allowed me to borrow. I had pre-selected some of those I was most curious about and only brought those with me for Aunt Josie to look at. For me, these were the biggest mysteries. But for Aunt Josie, "That's no mystery! That's ......(fill in the blank)". It made me laugh and say "Well, that's why we are here".
So here's the first That's No Mystery Post. This wedding picture intrigued me for a couple of reasons. This same wedding dress appears in another wedding picture and the female attendant is especially beautiful. I could pretty much tell the groom is Walter Jozwicki making the bride Rose Messa, your grandmother's sister.
Aunt Josie clarified for me that the female attendant is her cousin Mary Lessie and the male attendant is Walter's brother Henry. I did some research and found Rose Messa's wedding listed in Queens County to Ladislaw Jozwickie on Sept 17 1933. I believe this is probably the same wedding as portrayed in the picture. Perhaps Ladislaw is Walter from the Polish language? Seems likely.
A little further research in the census records shows Walter with his siblings Henry, John and Genevieve and parents Anthony and Helen in Brooklyn in 1920. Walter was apparently born in New York around 1915 making him a bit younger than his wife Rose.
In 1930, just a few years prior to this wedding, Mary Lessie is living with her family in Queens County and she was working as a saleslady in a department store. I have found a Mary Lessie marrying Joseph Campilonga in 1935--any idea if this might be the cousin Mary you see here?
No comments:
Post a Comment