
I don't think I actually had a chance to speak to everyone too much regarding your new Coffarelli cousins when I saw you all at Christmas. But indeed, there are living Coffarelli family members you should know about! I guess I had the impression Coffarellis were few and far between--since your Mom and her brother were the only children of James and Marguerite. But since James had EIGHT brothers and sisters, it is only natural that there must be other family members resulting from these 8 other families. And indeed, there are.
James' sister Louise married Michael Barra in June 1919. They had 3 children Teresa (now deceased); Anthony and John. Anthony is now 86 years old and living in an assisted living facility in Catskill. I had written to Anthony asking for confirmation that he is a Coffarelli and I received the confirmation from his son Michael along with most of this information you see here. Michael Barra is the oldest of Anthony's four children (also Patricia, Anthony Jr and Joseph). I believe this family lived mostly in Catskill New York. These children are just a little bit older than most of you (born mid to late 1940s). Sister Teresa had 3 children and brother John 6 so there are many many cousins out there for you all! Isn't it a big world right in our backyards sometimes?
Michael lives in Middletown and says: "I remember Aunt Tessie (Louise's sister) from my childhood. She was a nun and stayed with my grandparents during her summer vacations in Kiskatom in the town of Catskill (on Rt. 23A).My grandparents owned and operated a boarding house called Hickory Lodge when their children were growing up in Kiskstom, NY."
He also confirms this picture is of Phillip Coffarelli and his sister Theresa (Sister Magdalene) probably at this Hickory Lodge.
Wow, all these newly found family members should be enough interesting news for you BUT there's more news on the Coffarelli front. James' mother Rose died when her children were quite young and I believe I have discovered her death and burial. Rose died in May 1908 when her youngest, James, was only 9 years old. She is buried at the Calvary Cemetery (same as the Manzellis) in a plot with 3 others. Naturally I had to go find out who these other 3 were.
I assumed I'd find Rose, her husband John, then either Mary or Margaret (one of whom apparently died before James did) and father-in-law Giuseppe Nicholas Coffarelli. I was wrong. Goes to show once again. Rose and Giuseppe Nicholas (Joseph in the cemetery records) are buried in this plot along with Mary Orabel (died age 27 1914) and infant Julia Oreball (died 1908 only a few hours after birth).
If I could shout, I would: Does anybody know the Orabells????? It appears Mary was born in Italy around 1887. This does not match up nicely with anything else I know so far but it might not be impossible that this is still Mary the missing sister whom I have listed as born in New York around 1885. It also could possibly be missing sister Margaret born in Italy around 1880, although that doesn't really feel right to me.
These long sought answers very often simply generate more questions--"not that there's anything wrong with that"! So think think think. Who are these Orabells?
Happy New Year. It was great to hear that Robert and Bobbie has such a great trip and found the beautiful ancient Caffarelli chapel in Rome!
No comments:
Post a Comment