Sunday, June 1, 2008

Welcome June!


This will certainly be an exciting month for all of us. I am enjoying Jake and Lindsay's blog and look forward to a new branch on the family tree this month! That's a great first baby picture there!! Congratulations Jake, Lindsay and Marisa on your graduation. We are very proud of you all even if we can't be with you all too much.

Recently, a sudden random sound of construction brought me directly back to one afternoon when I was very young. I was in my room for my afternoon nap and the same construction noises kept me awake. I have never forgotten that afternoon--I believe it to be my first memory. Construction noise regularly makes me recall that day.

Sounds can be very powerful triggers. Garbage truck sounds bring me back to Duffin Avenue. You all know exactly the sound I mean. I was talking to Amy about this as we were driving back from Wallops Island this weekend and she volunteered that the Barry Manilow song This One's for You always makes her think of her Grandpa Dalpiaz. She shared that she didn't get to know him as well as she would have liked and that she wished he knew of her accomplishments and daily activites. That's why that song makes her think of him. I find it very comforting that a song you might hear any time would bring your dad back to mind. It helps keep him alive even for his grandchildren.

So this brings me around to say Happy Birthday and ask what kinds of sounds bring memories back for you?

No comments: