Monday, May 26, 2008

Pietraroja Italy


I was going through some of my papers and came across a couple of interesting pieces of information about Pietraroja Italy, where the Manzellis came from. Actually, there are apparently 2 Manzelli families currently listed in the phone directory for Pietraroja. That's a lead I may want to follow.


According to Steve Barbieri, one of your Manzelli cousins, the village of Peitraroja (spelled with a j) was founded a very long time ago and gets its name from a Spanish dialect and it means "red rock". Guess we might have been able to figure that out with Spanish 101. The village got its latest name in the 17th century when the townspeople mined red rocks for making cosmetics. The letter "j" was replaced by "i" when another dialect became the national language. This dialect did not contain letter "j". After WWII the letter "j" was put back into the name as proudly displayed by the town monument.


Apparently there had been a tradition in Pietraroja to conduct a town fair the first weekend in Sept. At this fair, the single women auctioned off baked goods to all the single men (do I hear an "Oklahoma" refrain in the background?). The winner "kept" the woman. Again according to Steve Barbieri, at least one ancestor may have obtained her spouse in this manner--but not your direct ancestor (whew).


This picture Steve sent me back in 2001 seemed to say it all for Pietraroja. He describes it as a mountain top view of the village. I think it's beautiful.

No comments: