Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Slainte!

I did not realize I'd missed the entire month on September on this blog.  If you're still with me, thanks--I appreciate your patience.  The trip to Ireland has consumed us in many ways, not the least of which is my blogging.  Now that I've allowed myself to put Ireland "in the past" I've begun to consider planning our upcoming adventure to Gloucester for two weeks.  It's a truly wonderful gift to be able to experience all these things that have been on our bucket list for such a long time!  We feel blessed.

Ireland was wonderful.  It was a grand place to go for our first overseas journey.  None of the things I most fretted about proved themselves problems--the airports, the flights, security, customs, money, time with relatives :).  I learned a great deal seeing some things from the other side of the pond--for example, airline transportation doesn't have to be unpleasant!  Aer Lingus was great as were the security procedures and agents.  Taught me how much our own need to learn.

I took a short video from the bus ride around the Ring of Kerry (the most beautiful part of the trip, hands down).  I especially like hearing the driver's voice.  We kind of missed hearing the brogue upon return.  It would have been very, very easy to slip into that rhythm of the spoken word.

This was the kind of scenery I had expected to see and it brought my fishermen and farmer ancestors to mind.

We landed in Dublin at 8 AM though our bodies thought it was closer to 4 AM.  While we were waiting for our bus transportation to Galway, we were quickly introduced to the culture of the land by 3-4 guys at the departure counter drinking their beers.  Right in the check in gate.  Right from the bottle.  At 8 AM.  Welcome to Ireland. 

We stayed in the Salthill area of Galway and it was right on Galway Bay.  A very pretty little area which reminded me a great deal of Gloucester Massachusetts.  I do have some fishermen ancestors from Galway so I was constantly thinking of their experiences.  We stayed in a B & B (that you see in the pictures below) here as well as in Cork.  They were quite wonderful--and very plentiful.  One B & B right after the other along the way.  We stayed in Galway 3 nights then on to Cork for 3 nights.  It was from Cork that we took the Ring of Kerry tour.  It was beauty I can't believe I saw with my own eyes as I review the pictures.  When we go back again, we'll stay in the Cork area in a smaller town.  See, we're (I'm) making plans to return!

Many of you have seen pictures but here are some additional that I did not post to Facebook that tell the story a little differently:




From Cork, we took the train to Dublin for 2 nights.  Our hotel was smack in the bar scene which was a whole new world to see!  No question Dublin has got the big-city energy.  In two short days we went to see The Book of Kells at Trinity College, the old jail, Christchurch, Guinness Storehouse, Jameson Distillery and learned a great deal of history.  We had a variety of experiences and I felt very comfortable despite never being certain which way to turn my head crossing the street (in Dublin, they gave you directions painted on the street and the crosswalk).  We enjoyed a wide variety of beer and whiskey (well, I enjoyed a variety of whiskeys--not so much for James) and had no trouble finding food to enjoy.  The weather was "good for Ireland"--we got told this numerous times.  It was mild though we saw very little sun and we got damp (but not wet) most days. 

The best part of the trip was probably all the little encounters we had with people --mostly natives--along the way. Everyone was very friendly and willing to help.  People would just start conversations with you or offer assistance at the slightest sign you needed it.  It was a grand time.

Can't wait to share stories as we see you all in the upcoming weeks.  Slainte!

No comments: