I'll be giving you an inside view on my family study methodology so that you can see how it happens that I seem to never get anything DONE!
First, thank you Angela for being so generous in sharing the ephemera from your Dad's collection. I spent much of Christmas afternoon scanning and researching. Here's one example of the trail I followed until I was well off the trail.
As you can see, this is a vehicle registration from 1931 for your grandfather James. I notice the vehicle is a Willys 6. This was not familiar to me, so I can't resist doing a little further research. And this is exactly where the scanning stops and the off course wandering begins.
This is a 1931 Willys Six Model 97. Pretty snappy. First it occurs to me that James had a very up-to-date vehicle for himself. I don't really know what it might mean to be a chauffeur in Freeport NY in the late 1920s and early 1930s. He consistently held a chauffeur's license but I don't know what it was needed or used for. So I take another detour to check the 1930 census record which indicates his occupation as coal weigher. This detour led me to a Freeport City Directory from 1926:
James is listed with Margaret as foreman but, interestingly for me--also listed are James' elusive siblings Elizabeth and Phillip! Bazinga (as Sheldon would say on The Big Bang Theory). Of course, I have to link this to these two as well and now the original research is well off track. But I'm having a grand time and I'm so happy to be able to share it with you all. More to come.



No comments:
Post a Comment