The shooting at the Batman movie premiere in Colorado last week is very much on our minds this weekend. When such tragedies occur, attention turns to the disturbed individuals at fault seeking reasonable explanations which often are just not there to be had. Two seconds after the "why" comes the political jockeying -- in this case, to gain a foothold in the gun control debate. This post isn't about that.
It's about the loss of innocence in the most benign of activities: going to the movies. An incident such as this could occur anywhere innocent people are gathered but this time, it was a movie theater. Going to the movies was a very big deal for me as a youngster. First of all, the theater was not close to our house so it would require one of the two adults in the house to leave the other behind for a while. There would be the question of supervision--needed or not? I clearly recall my mother phoning her friend to ask if "Romeo and Juliet" was appropriate for my adolescent eyes. Thank goodness this friend was more forward thinking than many other of my mother's friends and I got to go to the movies and see my very first bare behind in cinemascope.
Otherwise, going to the movies was not a common occurrence even as a family. I think you might have had a bit of a different experience possibly because you had easier access to the theater. I find it very interesting that during this time period of the late 60s, Batman was a popular TV series. I know we enjoyed watching it even though I imagine my parents were rolling their eyes. But it was innocent fun that evolved into this dark movie trilogy which has already drawn its share of tragedy and drama. Going to the movies went from a "special treat" to premiere midnight viewings full of costumes and devout fans.
These days it's a financial commitment to purchase a movie tickets even for a matinee. And now we'll be thinking twice about our safety even though there isn't much that can be done to prevent disturbed individuals from attempting to carry out their demented plans. So, as they say: dance as if no one was watching and cherish every moment you are given. God Bless innocent victims.
No comments:
Post a Comment