It's the end of June and it's been a wild month for us on the road: two trips to Long Island, one to Saratoga and most recently to Virginia Beach. I hope I know what to do with weekend days at home! So I've been doing a great deal of virtual blog writing as I daydream in the passenger seat. This post will be a little random.
We had a good visit to Virginia Beach, though I didn't think it was very "pretty". They are very proud of their military heritage in the Norfok/Virginia Beach area so we saw our share of new, old, stationary, soaring planes, jets or other flying machines. There's only so much of that sort of touring that will hold my interest which is what allowed me to find baby birds in a nest in the tail pipe (I'm quite certain that's not the correct term) of one of the aforementioned flying machines. Our local contact in the area found that discovery a shocking take-away from the tour. I was quite pleased with myself. North/South. Military/Civilian. Young/Old.
Having spent a fair share of time looking to the skies to locate a powerful whine of jet engines (well, whine is probably not the word those southerners would use but that's what it is!) seeming to nearly break the sound barrier, I was amused by the sound of the plane overhead in my yard today. It was like a putt-putt in comparison! I'm sure you can tell the Virginia Beach tourists by their crooked necks and hands-to-forehead stature when those jets appear in the sky.
We revisited a favorite Irish bar while we were there: Murphy's. These are Irish siblings standing side by side at Murphy's overlooked by Mom, Pop and Uncle Jameson in the background.
I've also been thinking about Bobbie's trip to visit her mother and do some family history research. I enjoyed spending a little one-on-one time with Bobbie doing a little bit of work to help. As we were sitting in her room switching back and forth between the iPad and the laptop as our (almost exclusive) research material, it struck me that this was a little bit like "microwave genealogy" compared to my "oven baked potato genealogy". When I started my research, it required travel, document requests and small change to print copies from microfilm. It took a while but as time went by, I find myself more often here at the computer than at the microfilm reader. Bobbie got to start with the microwave! Lucky dog.........
Thanks to Pat for sharing the photos and videos from Dylan's party. She really captures the moments! That's a definite skill. We are thinking of Kathleen and Nick hoping the water problems are resolving themselves.
Enjoy the end of June! We'll be home this weekend if you want to stop by!
1 comment:
I wish we could stop by. Our water problems are gone, so is most of the beach and turtle nests. We are back to our usual hot summer weather,for now. This morning I said to Nick, Jume 30th, half the year gone already.
Post a Comment