The 70th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor has generated more than the usual number of stories about that day, the survivors and its historical impact. In particular, I noted with interest the stories about the veterans who wanted to be buried at the site. Seventy years later and this event is still in their lives to the point that they wish to be buried with their long dead friends. I find this amazingly touching.
We know in our heads that Dec 7 1941 was a seminal event in the history of the world, but the desire of these veterans to be buried there brings it home to the heart. It's a sad fact that the various survivor organizations have had to disband for obvious reasons and that the remaining veterans worry that there will be no one left to share firsthand memories with school children. So time marches on in its plodding and reassuring fashion.
The bombing of Pearl Harbor is often compared to September 11. They are certainly comparable and I can't help but wonder if September 11 survivors remaining in 2071 will ask to be buried at the site. I doubt it and that's because I don't believe workers usually have the same kind of camaraderie as soldiers and sailors. That's a very special bond that cannot be denied--even 70 years later.
From Aunt Rose Joswicki's journal: A couple years later Mother's health was failing. That year of 1941 in December I had planned a birthday party for my son's fourth year (Walter). I don't think that anyone will ever forget that day Dec 7 1941. When the Japs attack Pearl Harbor and the war was declared. The next day was Junior's birthday and I proceeded with my plans just the same. But no one was very happy. Except the children they were too young to know what it was all about. And that's exactly what the veterans fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment