Sunday, January 23, 2011

Home is where the heart is

We recently received our property tax notification and I studied it more carefully than usual.  We are due to pay off our mortgage soon and I wanted to take special note of the rates, assessed value and so forth.  I haven't paid too much attention to property tax records as a genealogical research tool but I can see where valuable information could be obtained once I learn a bit more about them.

I thought you might be interested in the sale notice for 33-56 10th Street as your grandparents must have seen it:
Pretty sweet property!  $4200 sale price for a 2 family home with 2 car garage.  I think they may have purchased this in 1946 and it appears the mortgage was held by Christian Wieland.  By January 1951, the mortgage was paid off.  It seems pretty impressive to me that your grandparents were able to pay their mortgage off on this property in only 5 years.
I recently read an article in the NY Times which discussed the line that separates Queens from Brooklyn.  Apparently the demarcation isn't so clear to residents or to governmental agencies.  One clear difference supposedly are the numeric addresses:  3 numeral addresses indicate Brooklyn and the 4 digit (separated by a dsah) address indicates Queens.  At least to the US Postal Service.

Everyone remembers these addresses in their stories, which I think is really interesting.  As I'm sure you will remember 21 Duffin when telling stories to the following generations.

No comments: