Snow day! And we all know what that means......time to dig around in the papers, pictures and notes to come up with new thoughts on the family history! (of course --what were you thinking I meant?) Since we have so many high school seniors this year, I thought it might be fun to take a look at your mother's yearbook.
Here's her picture entry noting her activities as Spring festival and choral training. Her listed hobbies were an eye opener for me: sports (!?) and dancing. Her ambition was "Success in whatever I undertake". To be fair, almost every entry had a similar sounding ambition--so very different from what we see today.
What I found most interesting were the signed well wishes from family and friends. I don't know if it was common for the time, but several of her aunts signed her yearbook along with her friends and teachers. It's always fun to look at the handwriting of our ancestors. I think I can take a fair guess at most of them: Marie Coffarelli may be Joseph's wife; there's also an Aunt Marie (I"m thinking perhaps Marie Mangelli). Aunt Lee (Albert's wife); Aunt Amelia (Aunt Emily/Dolly?); and Aunty Madeline (Basile). Aunt Sarah is a mystery to me....any guesses? Your Aunt Mary told me that Peter Manzelli was first married to a girl whose name she could not remember--then he lived with another woman ("the Nervo girl"). Perhaps Aunt Sarah is one of these?
Tucked inside her yearbook is a certificate certifying that she earned a Minor Letter in Choral dated March 1 1944. Also included is a Gregg Shorthand Speed Certificate certifying her for 60 words a minute issed in June 1445. These must have been important to her. What have you got tucked away in your high school yearbook?


No comments:
Post a Comment