It's difficult to find words for this senseless loss of human potential. It's unspeakable -- parents don't dare allow the thought to settle itself in consciousness. Grandparents and great grandparents view mortality through their own frame of reference which includes no reality this brutal.
Evan's funeral Mass was held at the local Roman Catholic church. Many young people were there to hear the gospel, participate in the prayers and see the stark image of the lonesome coffin containing their friend carried by grief stricken pallbearers. There is comfort in the familiar traditions of the prayers, the liturgy and the music for those that are open to it and have faith.
I admire those whose faith is strong enough to bring comfort at a time like this. Angela and Louis each provided written memories of Evan which were read from the altar by a family friend. These words, so carefullly crafted and thoughtfully prepared, painted such a beautiful picture of young Evan for those of us not fortunate enough to know him. Angela and Louis brought comfort to all of us and to think that a parent could do that for others at such a time is a great testament to the healing power of the love of family and friends.
Angela related that Evan introduced himself as "Evan from Heaven" and that's how I will remember him. As the priest finished the service at graveside, I couldn't help but think about the irony of the sparkling sunny day and strong breeze wrapping itself around the huddled dark ball of grief surrounding the new hole in the ground. Bless you Evan from Heaven.
1 comment:
My heart swells and I have to smile when I read your heartflet words, not just about Evan, but all the little stories and reflections of our past. What a gift you have! How DO you do it? Thanks for making more memories and memorable moments for us all.
Post a Comment