Michael Lessie's father was Louis and Aunt Josie told the story that Louis had two sisters who schemed to have him jailed so they could take the family's land. Further, she said Antonia married him to get him out of jail! It's a crazy story, but one thing I have learned over all these years of research is that Aunt Josie was right on most of the time in her remembrances, so I have faith there is some truth in this.
When I started tracking Michael Lessie, one of those iconic trembling leaves popped up for Luigi Lisi's death. I dope-slapped myself for being so stupid as to fail to translate (once again) the Americanized name to the Italian. Once I started researching Luigi Lisi, the doors opened wide for me. Duh.
Double dope-slap to myself as I went back and looked at records I already have that plainly indicated that Antonia was coming to the US to be with her husband Luigi Lisi. Double Duh.
Right on the heels of Michael's death cerrtificate, I also received this for Uncle Luigi. It's clearly the right guy.
Initially I was excited to see his father's name Michael, which makes sense as Italians generally named their first son after the paternal grandfather. But then I noticed Antonette Contento is listed as his mother, but she was his wife so now I'm less certain that the information is accurate.
I did some further research and located an immigration record for a Luigi Lisi that intrigues me. In 1900 this Luigi Lisi emigrated stating Boston as his final destination. He is listed as a shoemaker. Neither of these facts line up with what I think I know about Luigi. He lists his last residence as Montalbano, which is close enough to Bari to reasonably be the Luigi we seek. 1900 is about the right date and his age at the time matches up so those are in the plus column for tentative identification as the right Luigi Lisi. We'll probably never know for sure, and I'll just have to accept that!

1 comment:
I always knew the Lessie family was important to my grandmother. As a kid, I thought they were friends of hers and never knew the real relationship. When you are a kid, you don't ask how are they related to us and it was never explained.
Post a Comment