Sunday, July 27, 2014

Ressurecturis at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Cemetery

This is from the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Tyrolean Roman Catholic Cemetery in Hazelton PA, which is where we found ourselves not too long after I stumbled on this obituary for Uncle Lou's grandmother Josephine Facinelli Martini:

When I looked up the cemetery, there was this note: "Our Lady of Mount Carmel Tyrolean Roman Catholic Church was the only Tyrolean church in the US (now closed."  I mis-read this initially and thought it was the only Tyrolean Roman Catholic Cemetery in the country so how could we not troop ourselves a couple of hours down the road to visit such a place?

We found the area pretty easily and I've never been to such a setting for cemeteries.  There were several burial grounds abutting each other, separated by low stone walls.  Each was for a different ethnic church in Hazelton.  There was Slovak, German, Jewish and a few others.  All well kept pretty easily accessible, except not in a very pretty location in "downtown" Hazelton. 

We began looking for Martinis and Albertinis and anything else Tyrolean related that might be interesting.  Soon enough, James decided we should put a call in to Uncle Lou and Aunt Rose.  Of course, they knew exactly where we were and where to locate Uncle Lou's family.  James put them on speaker phone as we strolled around the cemetery and they were like one of those audio tours you can purchase at the museum except this was live and on air!  I have to admit it was a little bit surreal listening to their voices as we viewed the various gravestones guided by their remembrances.  There was a distinct separate area for the Germans and Uncle Lou knew that the Tyroleans had to share some space with the Germans.  Each cemetery has its own personality and this was certainly a distinct one.

It's relatively small (especially after you realize where they put those darned Germans) so we were easily able to walk the entire cemetery.  I took several pictures and posted them to Find-a-Grave which added over 30 names to that database.  We did find one Dalpiaz:

Adjacent to this were two additional stones, clearly belonging to the same family. 

You'll note that William's name is Dalpias though it's pretty clear he belongs to this family.  I did a teeny tiny bit of research just to verify that Simon and Lena were parents to William and Charles.  There was such a family in that area at the right time though William and Charles were 4 years apart, despite looking like they may have been born the same year if you only depended upon the gravestones.  I haven't yet quite matched August up with one of our Dalpiaz line but we'll keep looking.

Uncle Lou and Aunt Rose were understandably surprised to hear where we were calling them from and said they'd intended to visit there this same weekend themselves but had to change their plans by a week.  Can you imagine if we'd run into them there yesterday!?!?!?  Aunt Rose told us Louis lived nearby and we didn't realize how close we were.  We took a ride over there and had a nice visit with Louis and Christopher.

It was apparently Cousin Day one day last week and I think we celebrated it in style this year!  Cheers to all the cousins, in-laws and outlaws!




No comments: