Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Their loss is our gain?

Don't you sometimes think about how your parents--or even your grandparents--might have responded to some of the changes in everyday life from "the good old days"?  How do you think they would feel to learn that cursive writing hasn't been taught in recent years?  Many young people cannot write in cursive.  Perhaps that is not the end of civilization as we know it, but this also means they cannot READ it.  I have had the experience myself that a student indicated he couldn't read my writing--not because it was messy, but because it was written and not printed.  A day may come when no one will be able to read the Rose Jozwicki journal about her Messa family.  Or the US Constitution.  Cursive is not taught yet the state requires student signatures on test forms.  Go figure.

Loyalty cards are another trend that might puzzle your parents and grandparents.  How many "rewards" cards do you carry around?  Why do we need to "belong" to a corporate giant in order to save 10 cents on a loaf of bread?  If it's on sale, it should be on sale to all, right?  More often than not, internet is required to redeem these rewards--that cute little coupon doesn't even come in the mail any more.  Further examples of impending extinction:  coupons and US mail service.  It's crazy, but I feel like your Mom would have been all over those rewards and loyalty programs.  I can just picture those cards jammed into her wallet--because of course they wouldn't be on her car keys! 

I understand that these reward programs are all about getting to you...acquiring your email address is a prime goal.  Back in the day, your mailing address and phone number were prime targets.  It's evolved to the point where I'll give away my home phone number much faster these days in order to protect my cell phone number or my personal email.  Or even my Facebook profile.

Facebook.  If I could picture your Mom using the internet (and I have trouble doing that), I think she would love the connectivity Facebook provides.  But I can only imagine the trouble it would get her into with those added advertising links and posts.  I'm thinking Facebook would not be a big part of your Dad's life except through your mother's sharing.

I recall that long long phone cord at your house.  Imagine how your Mom would love that she no longer needed to be tethered while on the phone!  That's technology I imagine she would embrace.  On the other hand, back in the day when you called a home phone number to speak to someone, you knew where that person was while you were speaking to them.  You never had to ask "where are you?"  Cell phones take away that parental GPS tool for checking on the young uns.  Although there is GPS on phones........

GPS is great but I wonder if today's students have basic geographical understanding as to where they are located and how to get to another location.  GPS sends you step by step but you lose that sense of travelling north or west.  The little bitty screen doesn't allow you the past luxury of unfolding that monstrous road map and trying to finger point your intended path.  Heaven help you if you put your finger on the GPS screen.

It is a wonderful world out there and things have changed over generations perpetually.  They will continue to do so.  Perhaps someday someone will be wondering similar things about us.  Our gain is their loss.


1 comment:

Beach said...

One of my big pet peeves is those cards, too. I won't shop at a place unless I really have to "if you need the card". Has anyone ever used those rewards or points you get? My Mom probably would have had so many cards, she would have lost half of them. She used to call cutting her coupons on Sunday "idiot work". I used to try to write a hand written letter once in a while. I haven't in some time. Maybe I should start again.