This postcard was sent to your grandfather Costante in 1959 by his sister Rita, who was about 13 years younger than her brother. Here's how it translated:
I'm sending you these few lines to tell you that we are well as well as you and the family. I congratulate you for your letter with 5 dollars together with Rudolfo for Momma. We remember you often. Momma is always busy making a good (illegible). It's cold and a little bit of snow is around. I hope we find you with much health and your family and Victor's family as well.
I have recently heard high school students say they cannot read cursive (which does not surprise me as it is no longer taught), and although I know Robert and Bobbie know how to read cursive, this handwriting must have been difficult to translate, so thanks a bunch! I may be reading the date incorrectly since I believe Momma (whom I presume to be Barbara Odorizzi Dalpiaz) died in 1954.
Also from Rita, this time I think it's 1961. Translation:
Dear brother I'm always late with you. I'm sending you more Happy Easter greetings. I hope you are in good health and everyone else. I believe now that Caroline stays well (illegible). Good wishes and good health to the rest of the family.
I can only imagine that Rita was receiving some kind of communication from her brother (or perhaps from your grandmother). It's nice to know they were literate and in touch with each other. The following article from the current issue of Filo offers some historical perspective on the importance of education in the Tyrol region. I liked the idea of 'baggage' including reading and writing instead of the usual negative connotation associated with that word.





No comments:
Post a Comment