Saturday, January 18, 2014

Papa

As you know, your grandfather James Coffarelli served in Italy during World War I with the Ambulance Service.  Thomas has always been intrigued by the fact that Ernest Hemingway also drove an ambulance in Italy during World War I; wondering if there was any way the two may have crossed paths.

I think it is unlikely that James and Ernest were in the same place at the same time during World War I but their timelines and experiences are curiously similar.  Ernest Hemingway was born in Illinois on July 21 1899, just a few days short of your grandfather's first birthday.  While James enlisted, Ernest was volunteered because his poor eyesight did not allow him to enlist.

James served for Sect 566 in the USA Ambulance Service attached to the Italian Army.  Interestingly, this section originated in Pasadena California, but soon lost any trace of that connection as more than expected time was spent at Camp Crane preparing for the departure.  Your grandfather mentions Camp Crane and there is an interesting account of this Section's history here .  The names of the ranking officers listed in this article can also be found in your grandfather's handwriting.  The Section left for Italy on June 13 1918 for Genoa.

One July 8 1918, just a few days before his 19th birthday, Hemingway was wounded along the Piave delta.  Apparently he was handing out chocolates to the Italian soldiers when he was struck by an Austrian mortar.I believe this is near Venice which is across the country from Genoa.  He spent several months recovering in a Milan hospital, where he famously fell in love with an older nurse (and A Farewell to Arms was born).

Your grandfather also spent time during Oct 1918 in the infirmary at Dural Palace recovering from the Spanish flu.  I do not know where this might be but his unit may have been in the vicinity of Bassano del Grappa, Vicenza at the time if I'm reading its history correctly (this is a big if).  Regardless, I believe James was not near Hemingway's Milan hospital but did experience a lengthy recovery in a foreign country.

Apparently Hemingway's return to the United States was newsworthy (remember he was not yet a famous or infamous author in January 1919) and your grandfather's was not except in the neighborhood.  However, I find it interesting to note that Hemingway returned to the US via the Giuseppe Verdi while your grandfather was ferried to Italy aboard the same!

Ernest Hemingway in his volunteer uniform



I am pretty sure this is James but it could be his brother Phillip
Looks like the same guy as above in the photo album

Type of ambulance used by the USA Ambulance Service--the volunteer units were basically the same and emblazoned with American Field Service.

So Papa Hemingway and your "Papa" Coffarelli shared similar and yet very different experiences in Italy during their service in World War I.  I'm happier to be associated with Papa Coffarelli. 





1 comment:

Thomas Dalpiaz said...

Great post! I enjoyed your telling of the detail concerning our grandfather and Hemmingway's whereabouts. Sounds like they likely did not cross paths but it is fascinating to think that they were doing the same kind of thing at the same time in roughly the same place...