Tuesday, December 17, 2013

HIdden Gems

We like Dunkin Donuts coffee.  We especially like to have some when we travel.  So often do we find ourselves seeking that lovely exit sign with the DD emblem, that I installed an app to help us find them when we travel.  Yesterday I drove to Albany for a meeting and noticed that our GPS indicates where the Dunkin Donuts are located on our route!!!  I didn't know our little machine did that.  It was a nice little treat--a hidden gem.

As I was trying to land on a subject for this blog post, I thought I might treat you to some hidden gems.  But I was having a little trouble finding enough to really interest you UNTIL I went back to the original drawing board and opened up my "Dalpiaz" file.  A real file stuffed with papers and notes about the Dalpiaz family in general.  It's good practice to go through such information once in a while for just this reason.  I found some interesting little tidbits to share with you that I had forgotten I had.

The tidbit that started me on this journey, oddly enough, was the 1940 census record for your mother and Uncle Johnny living with their grandparents.

If you look at this more closely, you'll see that your Uncle Andrew Manzelli was a painter for the World's Fair.  As I'm sure you know, the 1939 World's Fair was held in Flushing and was called "Building the World of Tomorrow".    This hopeful sounding title apparently did not help Andrew's brother Joseph (age 29) and sister Madeline (age 23) obtain similar jobs with the World's Fair as their occupation as "New Worker" in this census indicated they were seeking work and had no previous work experience.  In the previous census (1930), Andrew was a painter and Joseph is listed as a "junk auto wrecker"-- a little amusing since his brother Albert was a chauffer!  Anyhow, I found that little tie to American history very interesting and thought you would as well.

Other tidbits include my finding (re-viewing previously obtained stuff) that some of the Dalpiaz immigrants entered the county through Boston.  I generally automatically assume they came through Ellis Island.  I believe this is a common misconception and I have now been reminded to be more vigilant.  Your grandfather's sister Erminia may have been one such case. She arrived in Boston in 1921 with at least 3 others from Tassullo.

I may have shared this previously, but perhaps you could use the same kind of reminder as I.  In some 1997 correspondence with a guy that has Val di Non family, I learned that "Apparently the Dalpiaz name was first noted in Val Di Non records in the 1500s and there have been arguments about itsorigins.  One historian said it came from the name Dalla Piazza (on the square).  I have seen this version.  Another historian states that it originated from the German Der Platz."  Huh.  German would be interesting, right?

I also came across handwritten notes (my notes) with names and death dates.  I think I took these from Mass cards at 21 Duffin but I don't exactly remember.  Anyhow, these notes cleared up a couple of little hanging details for me such as the death date for Thomas Albertini, Uncle Lou and Uncle Tommy's father.  It kills me when I find I've had this information all along!!!  Elizabeth V. Dalpiaz was also on this paper having died Sept 18 1976 and I found another piece of paper I'd printed out a while ago for her obituary! Now I can link the two definitively with "your" Dalpiaz clan.  She was cousin Victor's wife.  There is also a Fred Dalpiaz (d Sept 29 1986)--not sure how he fits in yet.  Anyone know?

It was a great blessing to go back through this folder after such a long time.  I confirmed some other details and will be working to add names and dates to the family tree.  I confirmed (once again) how valuable Aunt Josie and Aunt Rose's recollections are.  Can't wait to see Aunt Rose and Uncle Lou again for this very reason.

Countdown to Christmas is in full swing and I know everyone is very busy.  We plan to travel to Long Island for the festivities on Christmas Eve.  Merry Christmas to all. 

No comments: