Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day memories 2013

Happy Memorial Day!  I hope everyone is having a nice day even if the weather could be better up here in the Northeast.  I thought you might enjoy seeing some of your favorite relatives in their military gear in honor of the day.

 Your dad of course--
Uncle Johnny --they are both so handsome looking!

I think this is Phillip Coffarelli

And I think you'll remember this is from your grandfather James' album

Now of course we all know that Memorial Day has come to signal the official beginning of summer.  And what would summer and Memorial Day be without a parade?  I don't know if these are Memorial Day parade pictures or not but they come from those sticky page albums.  I am sure you will recognize these much better than I.  Not sure who the photographer is but hasn't photography come a long way since?

 I think that's a Dalpiaz kid behind that man's arm.  Love this kid in the from with his glove stuck in his belt!  (I hope that's not James)



 I'm guessing Thomas is in this drum line. 
OK.  I'll need some help with these.  I'm sure you'll be able to give me some clues.  

I took a quick trip out to Erie this weekend and found myself with a little time on my hands.  So (of course) I visited a cemetery or two.  My first cemetery was St. Bonaventure in Olean so I could "see" my grandparents and other relations on my mother's side of the family.  At first I thought there was a funeral in progress because there were so many cars lined up but the dozens of little flags reminded me it was Memorial Day weekend.  There were several volunteers carefully placing those flags on the appropriate graves.  I had forgotten those flag reminders don't get there by themselves, so a huge thank you to those volunteers!  

 
In Erie, it was much the same.  The cemeteries were very busy with volunteers and family members sprucing up gravesites.  I was very moved by the sight of an older man down on one knee in front of a grave looking very pensive.  My imagination likes to think he was acknowledging his father, uncle or son.  Perhaps the reality was that he needed to rest but regardless, he was visiting a grave for a reason on Memorial Day weekend.  I wanted to ask if I could take his picture to show you how moving it was but it seemed to be much too private to interfere.  I'm glad for his family that he was there.

And I'm glad for all of you as well.  Happy Memorial Day and Welcome Summer 2013!


2 comments:

Thomas Dalpiaz said...

Thanks again for the great pictures. You may have heard the story that Mom used to say it was the sight of Dad in his uniform that really hooked her....the Dalpiaz behind the man's arm is me walking with my little league team. I think I was eight. and the little guy next to the girl drummer is me playing the snare drum. that's junior high, probably 7th or 8th grade. thanks again.

Beach said...

All of us have memories of either being in the parade or going to it with Mom. She loved parades. She used to stand there and wave a flag back and forth to the music. When you got older, you were a little embarrassed. Now, I want to wave the flag back and forth! Thanks for the pictures of the West Islip High School Marching Moderns. ( I think that's what we were called)