Monday, March 25, 2013

Believe It or Not

I can't help myself.  I have to talk about the Pope.  Never, ever thought I would say those words, but here we go.  I didn't pay that much attention to the media hype about the selection of the new Pope.  I was keenly aware that history had been made by Benedict's resignation (and vainly tried to convince my 7th and 8th graders of the same with less-than-enthusiastic response).  But I wasn't paying attention to the selection, assuming there would be the same ole same ole old white European wearing the red shoes. 

But now I smile every time I see this face.  He's such a cutie!  I don't imagine those words are used often about the Pope but I'll bet his mother thought so.  She was Italian, after all. 

To some extent, the selection of the Argentinian cardinal was part happy surprise and part some of the "same ole same ole"  -- he is the son of Italian immigrants after all.  There is quite a bit of controversy over whether he can be considered the first Latino Pope. 

I couldn't resist doing just a little bit of research on this Italian family who emigrated to Argentina, as did several branches of the Dalpiaz family.  Sure enough, the Pope's family originates in Northern Italy in the Piedmont region which is on the northwest edge of the Italian border.  His father was a railway worker!  There are some similarities to your family story.  But I digress a bit.

I wanted to share with you a little bit about my favorite man named Francis--my grandfather Francis Flynn.  He was called "Weenie" by everyone due to his slight stature.  He and my grandmother attended St. Bonaventure University which is run by the Franciscans.  My parents each graduated from St. Bonas as well so you can see the Francis/Franciscan influence is a strong one on my side of the family.  Anyhow, my grandfather Francis P. "Weenie" Flynn gained some notoriety during his tenure at St. Bonaventure as quarterback of their football team in the late 1920s.  He's my Leatherhead. 

He's the smallest one with that nice full head of hair all the way to the right of the picture.  His accomplishments on the field let to his nomination to the St. Bonaventure Hall of Fame as well as to Ripley's Believe It or Not. 

Believe It or Not

Anyway, all this talk of Francis makes me think of my grandfather.  The discussion about his heritage makes me think of you all.  I believe the Pope had a much greater influence for our parents than for most of us but this Pope Francis has already had an influence on me. 



2 comments:

Thomas Dalpiaz said...

Pat, That's a great post! I love the background information on Pope Francis including the information that his family came from Northern Italy. The stuff on your grandfather was also great. I love the football photo. Sounds like an interesting fellow...

Anonymous said...

That’s such an amazing story Pat,, And the best part of it is, it’s a true story. Thank you for sharing.