Sunday, November 6, 2011

Empty Nest Take 2

We are nearing the end of our first Empty Nest Take 2 weekend!  And it's all a little disorienting.  My sister found a job in Binghamton as well as an apartment, so we moved her this week.  So James and I are starting over mostly having only one another for company.  Unless Ryan calls at the last minute to bring home two friends for dinner and some paint-balling (that was yesterday).  Like the Aladdin song: "It's a Whole New World"--he's shampooing the rugs as I am writing this!!

The time change is welcome but is also a little disorienting at first.  I spent the entire day reading the entire book What Alice Forgot.  It's about a woman who gets knocked in the head and loses 10 years of her memory.  It's been too long since I've read a book from start to finish in just a day or two.  And it made me think a great deal about what was going on in my life 10 years ago and what has changed in the meantime.  Again, disorienting.

We went to an auction Friday night and brought home some ephemera that intrigued me.  I have had a wish that someday I would "rescue" pictures or family documents and return them to a family member interested in them.  Going through the various letters, dance cards and pictures has introduced me to Howard Evans who served with the Marines during World War I as well as being a member of the Hamilton College Glee Club.  I think I have enough information in the material we bought at auction to formulate a little story about Howard and perhaps find some descendant family members.  Most of the material is from the early part of the 1900s up through 1935 or so.  More disorientation as to time and place but in a really fun way (for me).  There's some really neat stuff in these boxes to entertain both James and I. 


So, to bring you to mid 20th century; here's your great grandmother's (Grandma Jennie) obituary and death notice from November 12 1953:

1 comment:

Beach said...

Enjoy your empty nest!