I hope you missed me! I'm not sure how two weeks slipped by without a blog post. Must be this new rhythm James and I are trying to get used to around here. This will be James last week at work. We are very grateful that teaching allows you to retire relatively early with financial security that many people don't enjoy. It's hard work that takes its toll physically, mentally and emotionally but is balanced by great rewards. Congratulations James.
Although he hasn't begun official retirement quite yet, we find ourselves easing into a new lifestyle. Weekends are especially open now and we took some advantage of that this weekend. I travelled to Cortland on Friday with Ron and Marilyn Henry to watch another student play field hockey against Cortland and Ryan joined us. I'm happy to say my alma mater Geneseo defeated Cortland in overtime! Anyhow, it was good to spend some time with Ryan on his campus and give Ron and Ryan some time together again.
Saturday James and I drove to Erie to see Amy just because we could. Amy gave us an abbreviated zoo tour (rain and cold) introducing us to all her animal friends by name. She entertained us with their back stories and trivia. Other zoo visitors were drawn to her as she was telling these stories. It seemed she didn't even notice that others were really interested in what she had to say about these animals. She was very comfortable, even in scolding an errant bird trying to escape its habitat. It obeyed! It was a quick tour but we can see she is very happy and thriving in this job. It was gratifying to see and allowed me to relax a bit about her being so far away seemingly yanked from my grasp so quickly.
We took her to dinner then sent her off to her own apartment. She had to work today on an outreach almost 100 miles away. This morning we headed back to Harpursville feeling pretty good about both children.
Then the phone rang. Ryan awoke in the night with an ear ache. He is prone to ear infections that can go bad really fast. He said the student health center was closed and he didn't know quite what to do. So we detoured to Cortland to take him to get some medical attention. Apparently the only walk in option in Cortland is the hospital which hosts a "prompt care" clinic in conjunction with the emergency room. Although it "only" took two hours to get him treated and medicated, he was a bit impatient but I was very happy to know he still needs me! And I have the added benefit of knowing he's not going to find himself in nasty sudden pain from this just as he's preparing for midterms.
I don't know if you watch the TV show The Middle which is just starting its second season. It's about an average family in average situations (well, maybe the situations are 2-3 steps beyond average but they are quite real). This week's episode focused on the Mom wanting to share some time in the spotlight with her teenage son that didn't go quite as planned but at the end he needed her too and it was very sweet. We are both very lucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment