Sunday, June 28, 2009

"The Finest Place to Live"


When James and I were talking about your dad's birthday this year, we agreed that it was hard to think of him as the 81 year old man he would have been. But that changed for me upon noticing an article in the New York Times last Friday June 26 2009: He's Never Left Astoria Behind. Even for me, many recognizable names were mentioned in the article.


Of course, I couldn't leave it at that so I jumped up to investigate a little bit. I remember your dad talking about growing up in the same neighborhood as Tony Bennett. Then Anthony Benedetto, he is only a year younger than your dad so I feel like his experience was in many ways your family's as well. This article mentions Tony Bennett's dad was a grocer but in the 1930 census he and his wife were dressmakers. The article mentions Steinway Street, which is what the census lists as the Dalpiaz/Messa family homestead at that time.


Tony Bennett says Astoria was "The finest place to live". What a wonderful way to remember childhood! Apparently he stared at the Manhattan skyline across the East River and I imagine your dad, his sisters and perhaps the rest of the family doing the same. In 1930 Tony lived on 21st Avenue but the article mentions a two story house on 32nd Street during the Great Depression. Indeed all in the same neighborhood--906 34th Avenue is the Messa/Dalpiaz address in the early 1930s. He raised pigeons on the roof and played in the Astoria Pool (which I do not recall hearing about). The rooftop activities of course bring to mind the pictures from the Astoria rooftops!! The article mentions Steinway Junior High School class of 1942 with his class picture. Is this the same Junior High School your parents attended?


Anyhow, the fondness Mr. Bennett holds for his childhood homes and memories brings great warmth to my heart thinking about your dad especially. It feels just like thie article is talking about your dad--despite the fact he wasn't a world renowned celebrity!!


We are awaiting Kathleen and Nick's arrival tomorrow!

No comments: