
James just came out of the neighborhood store with my newspapers and and and peach pie which he presented proudly. And he should be proud that he was thoughtful, but I couldn't help but shiver a little bit seeing this peach pie.
There was a bumper crop of peaches the year I was about 10 years old. I have no idea who provided my mother with ALL THOSE PEACHES, but we had bushels and bushels of peaches. And bushels more of them it seemed. We had peach pie, peaches with milk, and peach jam till the cows came home (almost literally). I distinctly remember peach jam and peanut butter sandwiches in my lunch for weeks. I recall the jam left sugary remains along the rim of the jars so you couldn't always get them all the way screwed back on properly--which I'm sure made the problem worse but no fear--there was more where that came from! I really can't look at peaches to this day without thinking about this and kind of shivering.
Did your family have any such experience that left a lasting impression on you even to this day where you might avoid something as a result? I think all my siblings remember this and it's one of those stories that gets shared when we are all together such as for holiday celebrations. Sharing these sotries is a way of keeping the history alive especially for the kids, who might be rolling their eyes now but will certainly be retelling these one holiday in the future around another table.
Thanks for another great holiday full of memories and stories to share. I am having a grand time with the pictures Robert kindly allowed me to borrow and you'll be seeing these soon. It's been about a year now of sharing stories with this blog and I've got lots more waiting in the wings for you in 2009!
No comments:
Post a Comment