Tuesday, November 25, 2008

From My Family to Yours

Happy Thanksgiving. It's the traditional time to contemplate those things we are most thankful for, so I'd like to take a minute to thank you all. As we were growing up, our families were very similar in many ways. Large, Catholic family with dad at work living modestly just trying to do the right things. West Islip was much more urban than our hometown but I imagine it was the same yard littered with bikes and toys. OK, we had a slobbery dog and you didn't but.....I consider you the lucky ones in that department.

Despite the similarities, James and I each had significant differences in our respective households. The Ryans could be found watching the football games during dinner, while you all were listening to Frank Sinatra.

Your dad would bring a bus to special family events--my dad would bring a dress so he could switch clothes with an aunt to entertain us with a number!

I learned from your mother that some families accept the garlic buds at the breakfast table. Ours was more likely to have beer caps leftover.

Your grandfather had a still--mine played Hearts for pennies with us and made my mother pay up.

Yes, we each had to make some adjustments but I always felt welcome in your family. This is probably at least 20 years late but thank you for adopting me so graciously into the family. My siblings and I found out far too late that my sister-in-law did not feel welcome by us. This took us completely by surprise as we certainly had no idea that we had acted in a manner that made her feel like she wasn't accepted by us. But that was her perception so that's all it takes to give it validity. I can't imagine such a feeling. Thank you all!

I am just beginning to get an idea of how hard it must be for a mother to "give up" her son to another woman (no, Ryan isn't getting ready to elope or anything--he's just getting older so I started thinking of his adulthood a little more seriously). Your Mom never ever made me feel like anything less than a full family member, same with your Dad. I always appreciated that.

So, again Happy Thanksgiving and thank you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm crying now. Thank you for saying that in such a beautiful and well meant way. I can not imagine it any other way. You have contributed in so many ways to this family, it would not be the same without you. Love, Kathleen

phauk66 said...

Mom and dad did have a way about them, a way of being casual, accepting, loving, funny, but always including everyone and making family first. You are so very much like them and have blessed us all with your kind and gentle ways, your gifts of yourself and your generosity. Distance and time don't matter. Our family is so very special because of you. Thank you for being so wonderful and for giving us all a moment to appreciate what we had and what we have. We love you!
Love, Pat